Friday, June 4, 2010

I'm playing copycat ...again...

I don't think I have much imagination ...

These funny/cute/sad dollies attracted my attention when I happened on Black Eyed Suzie's blog a few weeks ago.  I see that she isn't doing many now that she is pregnant...and I'm not sure I would be able to afford one anyway.... so, decided to copy a few of her photos and try a dolly of my own after this style.  It didn't say on her blog not to use her photos...and I hope she won't mind, because I want to do this post today... ...but, here are a few of her dollies...  I wrote her a note..but, her reply won't be here soon enough.  If she wants them removed, of course, I'll take them down and just direct you all to her blog instead.  It's a lot of fun to look at all of her dolls....and she has made LOTS!!  You have to go look.....

UPDATE::  She wrote back already!  Wow. How great was that?  And says it's fine to use her photos.... thank you "Suzie"....

































Every time I look back at the photos...I notice something that is different than I thought it looked the first time I saw it... and, of course, I have no idea how she actually worked with the clay or how she put it into position...so it is hit and miss for me.  I wish there was a tutorial... so I could give it a bit better try....

I used Creative Paper Clay.... again...I think she uses something different...but,...eh...it's all paper clay, how different can it be?  I'll have to look back at her site to see if I can find the name of her clay and then...try to find some of that.



















I've heard from somebody that knows her ...she used glass eyes...and I did read somewhere about her searching out glass eyes to buy....but, I don't have any at the moment.  So....I decided for my initial project...I'd make my own...sort of...

I painted on the iris and pupil...after making the whole eye area somewhat protrusive ....  Then, dabbed on some Glossy Accents...which I think is the same stuff as Crystal Lacquer.  I've never been able to find Crystal Lacquer here.
I think if I do a second one...I will paint a ball of clay for the eye ... let it dry...crystal coat it...  then put it into the wet clay of the eye area of the face.  Of course, there was absolutely no reason to paint the lips just yet...but...I had to do it!! hahahhah....just 'cuz she looks so cute already....















I put on some eyelids...but, then took a closer look at "Suzie's" babes .. and...they are not quite like this...... . so changed them.... had to make them a bit more like...erm...little awnings over the eyes... ....















So....I'm at this stage.....  see that cute little blondie? .... that's the one for me.... of course, the lips are not quite the same...but.... maybe next time ..... and then...on to trying to put as little paint or colour on her and yet somehow getting her to look like something so much more....

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're doing it again - showing me wonderful things that I now want to try ..... but I'm too busy with my new toy - oh, the frustration (or frusteration, as Shania Twain pronounces it in one of her songs!!)

Maureen@IslandRoar said...

Those are such cool dolls. Kinda remind me of a Tim Burton character...

sandy said...

Wow, you are talented and her dolls are great

Anonymous said...

Doing fabulously! I'll be back soon to check her out again.

Serena Lewis said...

This is weird.....I just did a comment but it's not showing up. I was saying that your doll is looking great and I can hardly wait to see it finished.

I also mentioned that Suzie's dolls look so unique and they also make me think of a Tim Burton character. Her blog is so interesting and I'm not even a doll-creator.

JudiA said...

I can't believe it, you amazing talented woman you. She is looking awesome! You might want to think about giving her a little bit more clay at the top of her head to give her room for a forehead and hairline, but other than that... Wow!

Unknown said...

WOW! You are super talented, Vee! I love seeing your new babies!

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Hello Sweet Vee,
I love your little dollie.She's a cutie. Susies dolls are just to fine.She does nice work.I may have to take a look.
Good for you...You got you a young one...LOL. You did it the right way. My friend Cheryle...She'll kill me for this...LOL. Anyway is 61,Her hubby is 49.
My hubby is 5 yrs older than me.
we just came in awhile ago mending a fence in the woods.We had some bad weather and a tree came down on a fence. It was a very big tree.My face is still on fire.I'm to old for this stuff.But I do enjoy working with my Bill.Its hard fun.Anyway Hon you keep cool this summer,Will be in touch,
XXOO Marie Antionette

Beedeebabee said...

Wow Vee! I think your doll is soooo adorable! You've really captured the look of Suzie's dolls, spot on! I thought your eyes WERE glass! What a great job you've done...Suzie's dolls are lovely, and so different! Keep up the great creating! xo Paulette

Elena said...

Oh they are way too cute! Can't wait to see your finished product and of course need to go check out her site too now.

Pauline said...

Oh they are fab, really unusual too, I am sure your one will turn out brilliant too.

Pauline