Saturday, November 13, 2010

Waaaay early...

I bought a new Christmas Cactus this year.  I'm a sucker for some of the little plants, placed perfectly, just inside the door at my local Safeway.  They know how to lure us in.... I always have to stop and look at the new little guys.  The new pots...the vases.... all of them perfectly positioned, just to have me do exactly that.  Mostly I just look...but...the odd time...I have to take one home.  It's more like a plant orphanage....



















It was loaded with buds.  And now...this thing has been in bloom for a week already!  I think somehow they must force them to bloom early in order to get them on sale soon enough to sell all of them....but, by Christmas... of course, all the blooms are gone.  I wish they would bloom on and on...til Christmas.
I wonder what date they will bloom next year?



















The past few years... my older cactus bloomed on or about American Thanksgiving....but, this year?  .... wha' hoppen'??  somebody is very confused.  Maybe the weather? maybe I just overwatered even a tiny smidgen? .. maybe it got less hours of daylight and thought it was later in the year already?  Who knows......

Anyway.... this was my older cactus... last week.....




















This week it is in full bloom...well, all the blooms that are going to open because some buds just die on the tips of the leaves and never do open.  I can't upload the photos I took this morning....my USB cable is ..."at the office" ... somebody else is using my camera.

My old one never gets buds on the short pieces of stem that stick straight up out of the pot so it makes me nervous to nip off any of the longer stems ...... this new guy has tons of buds and blooms on all the short stalks....  more investigation is necessary..... the mystery continues....

10 comments:

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Hi Vee,

I see you already have the Christmas Spirit. :)
I love the Christmas cactus too. It is great that the one you had from last year bloomed already. :)Just lovely. Might have to look around our Publix and see if they have them already. :)
Hugs

Terra said...

I buy cute plants on impulse too, and my white Christmas cactus bloomed profusely last year at Christmas, and this year at Halloween. Go figure. Actually you may have a Thanksgiving cactus since they really do exist.

Beedeebabee said...

Hi Vee! I love Christmas Cactus too, although I haven't had one for a long while. The pinks are my favorite, but they're all beautiful...I'm a sucker for those cute little plants in the stores too. I usually take home the most pathetic looking one because I feel sorry for it. Enjoy your Sunday, Sweetie, and I hope you're feeling better. xo Paulette

Shashi Nayagam said...

I love the Christmas cactus. I used to have one in my Office when I was working and it used to bloom right on dot for Christmas which was a shame as I never was there to see it lol! I have an Easter cactus which blooms every year to draw my attention because you see I never remember to water it and feed it. Poor thing most of the time it is neglected and still it goes on living in hope lol! So this year I was a bit more kind to it and fed it and watered it. So next year it might be more happy and create more blooms.

Catherine said...

Christmas cactus' are always so beautiful. I haven't had one for years. Very pretty!
xo Catherine

Anonymous said...

My Chritsmas cactus flower earlier every year - they have already flowered this year!!

Abi said...

Hey V. Thanks for visiting! How is your hand/wrist these days?
My doll making is very slow... I hopeing my obsession will come back :O)

Abi said...

Gosh... I mean I hope! not sure how the ING got there!!

Although the word verification was Zapping.... LOL

Petrinetrollmor said...

Hello my friend oversea !

It was a beautiful cactus you got there. I myself was lucky to get one from my dear mother in law. Here we have Christmas cactus, cactus at Easter, and this one November cactus :) I love orchids and cactus.

I hope your hand is going better.

Now I have to get back to my newest project, a needle felted angel.

Here it goes in troll, gnome, nisse and angels for the time. Typical november and my arms is hurting at bit. I have to slow down.

I wish you a very nice november day. And hope the winter weather is kind !

hugs from Norway

JudiA said...

My little Christmas cactus is the only houseplant I have - it's the only one I haven't managed to kill yet. I keep eyeing the orchids at Safeway - they are SO pretty! - but I don't have the heart to buy one. I would feel like a murderess, LOL.