Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Cross stitching

Have been doing some, with waste canvas, as it is called.  Who knew? .. not me, that's for sure.

Karen showed us a little heart design... and I gave it a go, but obviously didn't get it quite right... well, like she says, there is not a right or a wrong really... as there are many different ways to make hearts of course.  But, I was trying for some cute little guys like hers... which appear to be chubbier than my first... which is at the bottom ... with the grid already removed.

Too skinny.. so I tried again... too big ... hmmm... this became almost like a Goldilocks senario.... too skinny, too BIG, too .. whatever.... til I finally got one I liked.  The top guy.
                                                           














Anyway, then I tried some on a piece of vintage linen napkin in one of the blocks I am working on ...
that's them in yellow on the left...

Then, on another section I tried some white ones...but, got confused yet again ...and got the second up from the bottom a different shape than the lower one...so instead of picking out my stitches...I decided to alternate my new found shape with the practise one... for a total of five ....

Several people in our group were asking about the row of roses in between...no I didn't do those.... it is a strip of pretty trim I stitched onto the fabric.  It is actually a bit iffy and almost falling apart in some spots... so took a very long time to stitch into position in order to make sure it doesn't unravel.



















Then I tried some of the filled in hearts...so cute... but, I did them on practice cotton and cut it out too small ...silly me ...I will still try to use it in some way..just not the way in which I first thought I would.... think twice (or maybe even 4 times before you cut!)

Yeh, I knew that.




























My Hoya bloomed a second time in the year!  Can't believe it.  So pretty and velvety...I tried to get it close enough that if you click and bigify it you should be able to tell.  So soft ... and the centres almost look like plastic.  Little birdie is very curious....

It has the most amazing scent for hours in the evening...and sometimes in the morning for a while too...


6 comments:

Annie said...

Your flower looks so very pretty and I think I can smell it from here :-)
You really look to be enjoying your embroidery classes....I love the results.
Hugs,
Annie x

Mary Ann Tate said...

The Hoya plant doesn't look real...but beautiful. I love your hearts and that bit of rose trim is perfect...really lovely:)

Twiglet said...

This little piece is looking lovely - I am very impressed with those tiny hearts - so pretty. That Hoya is amazing -such perfect little blooms. x Jo

Anonymous said...

Love your hearts - Iknow I have some waste canvas somewhere .....

Beedeebabee said...

Such pretty little hearts, Vee. I love them! Those Hoya flowers are just beautiful! xo

Gwen Buchanan said...

Blooming again! That's wonderful...