Thursday, July 25, 2013

Finally....a proper appliqué

Look!  You can see some puffiness ...  or at least some slack in the fabric.  But, with no stuffing under it.

It is not taut against the underlying fabric, which was my problem with the first two I attempted.   I had to lightly stuff them to make myself happy with how they looked...or...I could have taken them off... but, I stuffed instead and of course, they became 'bumpy bits'... but, that wasn't the challenge this time around.  We did bumpy bits many weeks ago.  This time, it was to make nice appliquéd pieces ....  so, I had to persevere til I finally got one.















I had a thought.  Oooooh, clever me (finally!)... and, ...    I wondered if perhaps a thicker piece of paper might make a difference.  That is, some card stock as Karen mentioned, or in my case a piece of an advertising postcard ..   would give more slack once stitched down to the fabric.  It did!   (NOTE to self: Next time don't use shiny paper as it slides all over the place making it more than a bit*^ to tack down!)















First you tack or baste the chosen fabric to the piece of paper or card stock.  Then, carefully stitch the whole thing onto the fabric trying not to pierce the paper too often.  Once stitched into position, cut the back open..through all layers of fabric and take out the paper..oh, yes, and do remember to remove the tacking thread first...I always forget and complain about how hard it is to dig out the paper... but, when the tacking is out ..it just pops out like a tiddly wink.

I added chain stitch around the outside edge and then also some bullion stitch around the lower left corner to finish it off.



















And, lo and behold....an appliqué that looks lovely and soft, instead of tight and like not much at all really.... woohooooo !  I've been patting myself on the back.  My arm is sore...

It is damp stretching... and, it may not be finished yet....

Soon I must give some thought to how I will piece together my blocks I have been working on.....



Today it has finally cooled off and is cloudy with a lovely cool breeze.... you know what that means..... baking!!  Yes!  Breads and muffins today.... no time to stitch I guess....but, we'll see.... maybe later if I get as much done as I want to....


5 comments:

Catherine said...

That looks very pretty!
We've been staying in the low to mid 20's. I wish it would warm up a bit!! This summer's weather has been very weird.
xo Catherine

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

What a gorgeous piece you've created! Thank you for sharing your method of doing this type of stitching. You do incredible work Vee. So glad I stopped by to visit today.

Have a grand weekend, Edie Marie

Soozcat said...

This is beautiful work! I love all the detailed stitching and layering.

Hey, I'm not sure if you would still be interested, but a while ago you read all of the parts of "Unseen" that I'd written and expressed disappointment that there wasn't any more.

I just updated, and I thought of you. :)

karen said...

it's just lovely...it's white and it stands proud and the bullion knots are divine and...and ...and...

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Really nice applique! I quite often use some starch (applied with a cotton swab) around the edge of an applique piece (keeping the paper/card inside) and then press it until it holds the shape. Then I can pop out the card and stitch the applique down. Then you don't have to make a cut on the back to remove the card. Hope that makes sense!!