Thursday, November 27, 2014

Wild Bird Wednesday

...on Thursday .....

All I have today is a Magpie... oh, alright .... it is the majestic Black Billed Magpie.... as Chris likes to call them.  Here, we usually call them nuisance or other even more unfriendly and not very flattering names....

Chris even recounted a funny story about hunting for them in a dangerous area... anybody want to photograph magpies... pack your bags and come to visit....I've got them year 'round ... lots of 'em...

The first few are earlier in the fall...the last one a day or two ago...it has snowed and this one came to check out what the piggy sparrows were throwing around while gorging on sunflower seeds at the feeder.... then, he hopped around on the snowed in bath to see if he could peck up a drink of water...no luck... solid ice under the snow...

They really are pretty colours when it comes down to it... and, I guess they are important in the eco system ... the "cleaners" ... of road kill, etc... and, the thing I throw brooms and rubber boots at them for? ...robbing nests of eggs and babies of smaller birds... mostly I treat them like a nuisance... but, I do let them have a drink every so often.... I do know it is all part of Mother Nature's plan...but, honestly, sometimes I think that old dame is a bitch ....


Oh, hai.... I'se bizzee in yer garden













Check me out from the other side, eh?....











Am I a good looking dude or what? ...('course, it could be a girl for all I know..hahahha) ....















What the? .... where'd the bird seed go? ..... This sun is blinding on the snow....


















Linking to Wild Bird Wednesday .... check it out .. click on the photo below to go there...










9 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oh dear - and here I am a magpie at heart and you would throw brooms at me?

Anonymous said...

I love these fiercely intelligent birds and all attempts to get a photo have been in vain to fate. Lovely work!

Unknown said...

They're gorgeous birds! They seldom let you get very close to them though.

Jen said...

We don't have those where I live. He or she is beautiful. They are not the only robbers of eggs or killers of baby birds...

Hannah said...

I miss seeing them, I didn't know about the rascally things they do, I've never had them in my yard, I've only seen them in the distance. The road kill part sounds useful at least. And they are such pretty and flamboyant birds, thanks for sharing!

A Colorful World said...

I know they can be annoying...but they are so pretty in their tuxedos! :-)

Lin said...

Oh, I don't think I have ever seen a magpie! It is a lovely bird...too bad it's a stinker. :(

Gail Dixon said...

These are beautiful shots! I didn't realize they could be a nuisance. I saw my first magpie in Oregon and was super excited.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Really clear and beautiful shots!