Friday, March 6, 2015

Dotee Dolls (part two)....

.... there could be 37 parts to the story...hahhahahhah... okay...just kidding. But, it might be awhile...

I began a little Dotee last night .... only to discover I didn't really know much about beading.  So little in fact, that it was embarrassing.. (but mostly frustrating).
After spending some time..(quite a bit of time, actually) trying to figure out how I would thread the beads onto what kind of thread..etc... for the dangly "tail" and, just let me say, it was a bear trying to thread any needle I found that was small enough to go through a seed bead .....  silly me.   With our origami, we even thread the seed beads just with the lovely gold thread that is stiff enough to go through the holes without being on a needle!
I was looking for more info about beading this morning and all of sudden remembered...I took a short lesson on beading some time ago.   I think it was with a local doll group.  This should not be difficult for me.  And, I knew I must still have some beading thread.. I don't throw much away.  Found it.  White and black.  On little bobbin type thingies.  Alright!

Also, I discovered I don't have to go to the quilting or craft shop...I found beading needles too.  A whole new pack of them.  Now I have some ammo to attack the dangly and the hanger again.  I still don't understand how to get it attached to the inside of the wrong side of the fabric ..and, have no thread showing or to somehow not lose the last few beads up inside of her...but, maybe that's the ticket... put lots of the right colour on near the end of the loop or the 'dangly' and don't worry if they hide up inside...better than seeing empty spaces on a too long thread.

So... today I have now added a dangly thing and the hanging loop... and, was working on her face prior to that.  Honestly, I know how to embroider, but for the life of me I didn't get the stitches looking great on the first few mouths I tried.  And, the piece of felt I bought at Michael's ?... forget it.  So cheap it is almost transparent... I'll either be looking for some better stuff or adding a circle of cotton under it so you can't see the colour of the body showing through.

She has a cute little face... simple just like Dot made her little gals.....  no show and tell just yet.... and, even when you do see her ...she will be my prototype...on which I am learning as I go... and, I have to say the stitching is not great.... you know how it goes when you want to see the first one done already.... but, she will live with us and we will love her all the same.... just as she is.

Show and tell soon....



2 comments:

Dolores said...

Looking forward to the big reveal.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oh yes, waiting for the reveal!!